Politics and the Department of Natural Resources
Support SB3 -
DNR Independence Bill
Stevens Point Attorney New Chair Of Natural Resources Board
- Gerald O'Brien to assume crucial leadership role on DNR policymaking.
DNR Faces Big Challenges In 2004
- Sec. Hassett talks to the
Green Bay Press Gazette
Scott Hassett: Touts the New DNR
- As interviewed by WisPolitics editor Jeff Mayers.
State Newspapers Criticize DNR Budget Cuts - Read what they're saying at the
, and the
Madison Capital Times
DNR Calls Budget Cuts "Devastating"
- Everything from pike to service centers could be affected, agency says in
Not Raising Fees Could Hurt Programs
- What does the Joint Finance Committee have against the DNR asks the
Ashland Daily Press
DNR Secretary Says That Layoffs May Be Necessary
- Budget cuts may cost 145 jobs at agency, according to Hassett.
Conservation Groups Ask For Hearing On DNR Independence Bill
- Wisconsin Wildlife Federation and 44 other groups want power to appoint DNR Secretary returned to DNR Board.
[You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this,
for a free download if you need it.]
DNR, Meet The Internet
- Public needs access to DNR enforcement information says
Study Faults State On Accessibility Of DNR Records
- Pollution enforcement actions hard to find says national group in
DNR Chief: Water's On My Mind
- Hassett talks to
about vision and priorities.
Black Says Bipartisan Support Exists For DNR Independence Bill
- 30 Assembly and Senate legislators cosponsor bill to return appointment authority for DNR secrectary to DNR board.
Incoming DNR Secretary Just One Of Us
outdoors writer praises agency's new leader.
New DNR Secretary Named
- Doyle appoints Scott Hassett to the position.
Black Announces Intent To Reintroduce DNR Independence Bill
- Assembly rep. says he is optimistic about the chances for passage.
DNR Secretary Needs Cover From Politics
- Eau Claire Leader Telegram supports independent secretary proposal of Doyle.
DNR To See Big Changes With Doyle
- New Governor explains need for independent DNR in
Wisconsin State Journal
Conservation Alliance Releases Results of Candidate Survey on DNR Secretary and Public Intervenor Restoration
- Find out where your candidates for state office stand.
Candidate Survey On DNR Independence Underway
- Brown Co. Conservation Alliance will share results with voters.
Voters Back DNR Independence
- Conservation Congress shows overwhelming support for return of citizen control over agency.
State Loses Millions By Failing To Enforce Water Laws
- New report charges DNR with weak enforcement efforts. And
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's
on the issue.
WSN Responds To DNR Split Veto
- Letter to Governor expresses thanks
Rep. John Gard's reaction
[If you don't have Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this documents,
for a free download.]
Governor Vetos DNR Split
- Move follows massive public opposition to plan.
International Paper Questions Wisdom Of DNR Split
- Company concerned about potential pitfalls, according to Appleton Post Crescent
Governor Candidate Doyle
calls idea bad for taxpayers.
Calls For Veto Of DNR Split
Stevens Point Journal
Editorializes Against Plan.
Going Bananas Over DNR Split
- Local Cumberland columnist discusses proposal.
Send A Letter To The Governor On The DNR Split
- Citizen action can block the move, but your help is needed. And
a little multimedia humor
about the proposal (our thanks to the unknown author).
Natural Resources Board Opposes DNR Split
- Citizens advisory board urges McCallum to veto budget proposal
WSN and Republican and Democrat lawmakers weigh in with their views
GOP Munches On DNR
- Editor of Merrill Foto News criticizes splitting of DNR.
Snapshop Of Proposed DNR Budget
- Plan splits forestry from DNR, funds other key programs.
Reinstate Public Watchdog
- Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel calls for return of Public Intervenor
Appointment of DNR Secretary by Natural Resources Board.
DNR Split Not Wanted
- Writer argues idea is a mistake and will set DNR back.
Rep. Gard To Push DNR Split In Caucus
- Assembly Republicans will look at plan as part of their state budget bill.
Wisconsin Wildlife Federation Opposes DNR Split
- Organization sends letter to Joint Finance detailing position.
Fiscal Analysis of Michigan DNR Split
- Break-up cost money and took dollars from resource management.
Citizens Rip DNR Split Plan At Hearing
- Overwhelming opposition to proposal voiced in Onalaska.
Four More Views On Splitting The DNR
- Superior Daily Telegram, River Alliance, Howard Tanner, and WI Employees Union express perspective.
Michigan's 5 Year Experiment With Split DNR
- Results of break-up should be a warning for Wisconsin. And the
Ashland Daily Press
editorializes against DNR break-up.
Trout Unlimited Weighs In On The DNR Break-Up Proposal
- Group critical of plan at state council meeting. And read the state
Legislative Fiscal Bureau's detailed analysis
of the break-up.
[If you don't have Adobe Acrobat Reader to view these documents,
for a free download.]
Move Underway To Break Up DNR
- Plan to cut agency in half raises cost and efficiency concerns according to ECCOLA.And read
a memo from DNR staff
discussing the issues.
Take Action For DNR Independence
- Attend the April 9 Conservation Congress hearing in your county and introduce this resolution for passage.
Time To Change Way DNR Secretary Is Chosen
Ashland Daily Press
calls for return of DNR Independence.
DNR Independence Bill Passes State Senate
- SB3 heads to Assembly, citizens need to contact their representatives.
Ousted DNR chief calls for protection from politics
Sen. Dale Schultz calls
for restoration of DNR Independence as does
Attorney General Jim Doyle
McCallum To Name New DNR Secretary
- Ousting Meyer is biggest change so far.
Senate Committee Passes DNR Independence bill
- SB3 wins 5-0 bipartisan vote, mores on to full Senate for action.
WSN Surveys Legislators On DNR Independence
- The hunt for legislative opinions is on.
DNR Independence Pushed
- WSN calls upon Natural Resources Board to heed voters at the Conservation Congress on DNR Independence and Public Intervenor restoration.
EPA Asked To Veto DNR Factory Farm Permits
- Citizen groups file petition requesting fed's to act.
Conservation Congress Votes For Independent DNR
- Overwhelming vote also supports return of Public Intervenor Office.
Law Journal Critical Of DNR Water Management
- Prestigous journal points to politics influencing agency decision making.
DNR Violating State Water Laws
- Groups call for revocation of Shawano factory farm permit.
DNR Watch Report #7 Looks At Employee Attitudes
- Agency employees discuss impact of politics and other influences on their work and
a news release and citizens' statement
on the report.
DNR Employees See Environmental Problems
- Agency wide survey raises concerns over state regulation of natural resources.
Group Looking At DNR Law Enforcement and Attitudes
- Survey going to all DNR employees from national organizaiton.
DNR Refusal to Write Mining Moratorium Rules Raises Objections
- Mining Moratorium Coalition wants law defined by standards, not politics.
Update On DNR Independence And Public Intervenor
- status of key legislative bills and action.
Funding The DNR
- Sheboygan County Conservation Association outlines plan of action for meeting the agencies program funding shortage.
An Update on SB 244
and the DNR's money woes.
DNR Creates Industry Dominated Advisory Committee on Contaminated Sediments
- Another example of corruption, says Clean Water Action Council.
The River Alliance of Wisconsin
Speaks Out on the Proposed Breakup of the DNR.
Proposal to Split the DNR into Two Agencies Raises Concerns
- Problems with plan raised by conservation and environmental groups.
Permits, Golf, and Politics
- How the DNR bent the rules for Kohler Co's Whistling Straits Golf Course. Check out the lastest DNR Watch Report.
New Bill Aims to End Political Influence at the DNR
- legislation would restore DNR independence.
Thompsonís DNR Caters to Cranberry Lobby
- fourth in series of DNR Watch Reports details political influence.
DNR Struggles With Resource Mission
Report Hits Thompson's Abuse of Power Over Mining Issues in Wisconsin
- third report from DNR Watch exposes politics of mining and mining regulation by the state DNR.
Politics Colors DNR treatment of zoning issue in Brown Co.
- 2nd DNR Watch Report exposes double standard.
Why is the DNR being soft on Murphy Oil?
- Something stinks about air permit proposal in Superior.
New Report Examines Failure of DNR to Remove PCB Pollution From the Fox River
- Groups Charge Governor with Blocking DNR Clean-up of River. Here's a brief
of the full report.
Citizens for an Independent DNR Greets Governor at Fishing Opener
- Group Announces Petition Drive
Public attending Annual Outdoors Show
question the ability of the DNR to protect the state's resources.
Trouble at the DNR
- Downsized, Disorganized, Politicized and Demoralized. Can the agency effectively protect Wisconsin's resources?
Update on the restoration of DNR independence and the Public Intervenor's Office
from the Clean Water Action Council's
Rebecca Leighton Katers
ECCOLA's "Bias in the DNR Report"!
WI Secretary of State Doug La Follette's
letter to the
WI State Journal
critiquing statements about the Crandon mine made by a DNR spokesperson
WSN Kickoff Press Release
Facts about the Changes to the Public Intervenor's Office & DNR
Wetland Destroyed for New DNR Office (??!!)
This is one of many pictures we have for evidence
of the incomprehensible: the DNR is destroying a
wetland to build its new office in Peshtigo.